Saturday, January 14, 2012

"Technology is Awesome!"

These are the excited words from my young son when he noticed I had recently purchased a Kindle. (Yes, I'll admit I'm a bit behind times when it comes to such novelties.) But, since most of my books will now be published in e-book format, I thought it might be a wise decision to buy a Kindle and see what all the fuss was about. I've always been a die-hard fan of print books, but with the e-book market now exploding on the scene, I thought I'd give it a try myself.

I'm so glad I did. I love the fact I can hold over a thousand books on one tiny device. I mean seriously, could you ever really say you didn't have anything to read with that kind of collection? The fact some libraries now allow you to borrow e-books the same way you borrow print books is amazing. Although I haven't had time to try that little perk yet, I'm very excited about the prospect.

One reason e-books are so popular is because in this fast-paced day and age, people want instant gratification. Borrowing or puchasing an e-book is definately instant. In less than 60 seconds you can have one purchased or borrowed and delivered to your Kindle. Isn't that fabulous?

I realize you can read e-books on your computer, which is what I did for a while, but I didn't download too many due to the fact I need my computer space to store my writing. Besides, laptops and even netbooks can be a bit bulky to carry around just to read books on.

The Kindle is much smaller and easier to transport. Now, I'll be able to buy and store as many books as I'd like.

Of course, some say e-books will eventually overtake traditional publishing and print books will become obsolete. Do I really believe that? No. There will always be some, like me, who want to have that print book in hand occasionally to read. But, that doesn't mean I won't have a fabulous collection of e-books at my fingertips as well.

After testing out my Kindle I have to say I agree with my little boy. Technology is awesome! The only problem I see now is the fact his next words were, "Can you load children's chapter books on there too?"

Uh..oh...looks like I might have to share, but with over a 1000 book storage, hopefully that won't be a problem.

So even if you are a die-hard print book fan like me, I'd definitely recommend giving the Kindle a try. You'll be glad you did.

______________________________
Tamelia Tumlin has worked with several online publishers, but is now writing exclusively for Steel Magnolia Press. Juggling motherhood, teaching and writing is a challenge, but one she welcomes to pursue her passion. Her romance novels range from sweet and sassy to dark and dangerous.
______________________________

No comments: