Thursday, May 24, 2012

Lazy Days of Summer

Summer is here!  School is out!  There are happy dances, big grins, lively chatter, bubbling enthusiasm over vacation plans and a ton of excitement! Oh … I guess I should mention the students are thrilled too!

Yes, it is that time of year again and I don’t know who is more excited. The teachers or the kids. As a fourth-grade teacher, I know I’m ready to enjoy those lazy days of summer with a vacation or two thrown in for good measure.

There will be swimming, grilling and leisurely reading. And, of course, writing. Lots and lots of writing. Hmm ... I guess that means summer for me is not really a break, just more time to do what I love. But I wouldn’t have it any other way.

I’ve given some thought to what my next project will be and I’m leaning toward a Christian suspense novel. This particular story has been slowly taking shape in my mind for the past few months and now my characters are getting a bit antsy to have their story told. As you can see, I’ve never been one to write just one type of story. The jury is still out on whether or not that is a good thing, but I’ve come to the conclusion that for me it is best to write whatever I’m in the mood for at the moment rather than to stay with one genre.

I’ve always enjoyed reading the Love-Inspired Suspense books Harlequin releases, so my next novel will probably be similar to that line. A pinch of suspense, a spoonful of romance and a sprinkle of faith will hopefully be the recipe for an uplifting, nail-biting romance that will take up the first portion of my summer break. If all goes well, I plan to finish, polish and release it within the next couple of months. Maybe even before I take that much-needed vacation to Florida where I might just get a glimpse of those peacocks Lindy blogged about earlier. Sounds fascinating!

Summer should be a fantastic time for Steel Magnolia Press as well. Jennifer will be releasing some of her backlist novels and possibly even a new novella, other Magnolias will be launching their first titles (oooh ... I can feel the excitement already), and the rest of the Magnolias will be gearing up to release another new title or two over the next few months as well.

So it looks like we will be busy here at Steel Magnolia Press as well as home with our families. Summer holds such promise, I can't wait to get started. I’m ready to pull out my Kindle and escape with a good book. Or two. Or three. Or ... you get the picture. And, of course, I'll be putting my fingers on the keyboard to write, write, write.

So, what are your plans for summer?

______________________________

Tamelia Tumlin has worked with several online publishers, but is now writing exclusively for Steel Magnolia Press. Juggling motherhood, teaching and writing is a challenge, but one she welcomes to pursue her passion. Her romance novels range from sweet and sassy to dark and dangerous.
______________________________

No comments: