Monday, February 6, 2012

Writing Epiphany

After revamping my website, I had an epiphany. Nothing monumental, mind you, but an epiphany all the same. I have come to the conclusion I am an ADD writer. Since I teach elementary children by day, I know a lot (more than I'd like to actually) about attention deficit disorder. As I'm sure most of you know, attention deficit disorder means not being able to stay focused on one thing.

My writing ADD is pretty much the same. Instead, of writing the same type of romance all the time, I'm Always Doing something Different (hence my acronym ADD).

Most writers ususally find their niche and pen stories within their particular genre. Me? Not so much. I came to this realization as I was organizing my books into categories on my website. Even though all of my books are romances, I have a wide variety of stories under the romance umbrella ranging from paranormal to Christian. Hmm... See? Two polar opposites. Even the heat level in my books have a broad spectrum. Some are sweet and sassy and others (like my latest novel Catering to the Italian Playboy) are a bit spicier. At first, I thought this might be a bad thing, but I've come to realize that its more fun to write the story of your heart (at the time) than to try to stay within a specific style.

This brings me to my second epiphany. Readers can have a touch of ADD too. While most readers generally tend to read the same type of book the majority of the time, there are occasions where they too might want something a little different. Something outside their usual genre or maybe something a little diffrent within their favorite genre. So, my question for the readers is .... What do you like to read?

What are your favorite themes in a romance book? Do you like secret babies and family or do you like the total fantasy with sheiks and princes? Or maybe a warlock or werewolf is more your style. We'd love to know which themes tickle your fancy? Drop us a line or in the comments and let us know.

______________________________

Tamelia Tumlin has worked with several online publishers, but is now writing exclusively for Steel Magnolia Press. Juggling motherhood, teaching and writing is a challenge, but one she welcomes to pursue her passion. Her romance novels range from sweet and sassy to dark and dangerous.
______________________________

2 comments:

Landra said...

Love the topic choice, and I often find myself experiencing the same amounts of genre hopping when I come up with story ideas. I don't think it's a bad thing for an author to be covering multiple spectrums as long as the writing is good.

My favorite themes in a romance book? That's a hard/easy question. But across all romance genres I like themes involving dark or tortured heroes redeemed by courageous women. I also like books where estranged couples reunited. And unique stories where common strengths suddenly become flaws.

Unknown said...

Interesting that you mentioned estranged couples reunited, Landra. That does seem to be a popular theme in books and it works well most of the time. I guess I'm the oddball, because I prefer to read about characters who've never met before. But, I have written reunited stories, it's just not my preference. Depends on the story I suppose. LOL! I guess I'm one of those wno think an ex is an ex for a good reason. :)